27 August 2010

Retard say what?

Retard says what?

I want to share this with you peeps, a short story or rather observation. Every morning I ride my bike to work like so many others. Every morning I see the same faces riding the route I take in opposite direction. One guy always kinda stands out and makes me smile. It’s a guy of about 40 to 50 years of age, neatly dressed and always well kempt. He is however as you can sometimes tell by appearance, posture and facial expression quite obviously mentally handicapped.

Every single day I see this guy on my way to work with his hands full of trash. He picks ups any and all trash people throw away along the cycle path. Being the green type of guy, yeah I’m a pagan type tree hugger… but a tree hugger who can kick your ass, this moves me. This guy, regarded by most of society as being of “less use” actually picks up the gauntlet for mother nature. With an expression as if the rest of the world is retarded for leaving their trash everywhere he is one of those guys that changes the world starting with himself. The funny thing is, he doesn’t do it to be hip, to teach others a lesson or for any kind of reward, he does it because it’s simply the normal thing to do.

Every time I see him on his bike carrying trash to the bins I can’t help but ask, who’s the retard anyway?

1 comment: