18 October 2012

My graveyard encounter....



So there I was, getting ready to take some pictures to use as background for one of my sites. When I saw a woman walking by. Being in a graveyard already gives me the creeps, so to say I was feeling uneasy is an understatement, but when this woman walked by something made my hair stand up straight. She was pretty and wore stylish and very feminine clothes, not slutty or cheap, but sexy in a classic way.

When she saw me looking she smiled at me and all the uneasiness I felt was gone instantly. Jokingly she started doing all kinds of typical photoshoot poses, now only three or four meters away from me. Since I wouldn’t mind looking back on this encounter later I actually went and got my camera out. Pressing the button half way to focus, the rectangle capturing the face of the woman in front of me shifted… and then I felt the blood drain from my face, I gasped for air and for a second time stood still, paused at that one horrifying moment as I saw rectangle after rectangle appear on the display… as a reflex I clicked the button and looked up. And found myself alone.



As soon as I regained control over my body, I now understand what scared stiff actually means, I ran from the graveyard, got my bike and went home. After days of not talking about the incident and completely ignoring the existence of my camera… I hadn’t even dared to get it out of my pocket, forced to wear my old jacket for days, curiosity eventually got the better of me. Trembling I got the camera from my coat’s inner pocket and switched it on. Off course the battery was dead, so I had to plug it in to my laptop. At the moment I connected the cable my laptop screen went black. Fearing every next second for minutes I finally got the courage to touch my laptop again and wanted to see if there was anything wrong, when it happened.

A white flash, like an old camera and the face of the woman from the graveyard in the middle of my screen, her face completely distorted, a mask of pure agony. I could not look away and heard the words in my head “I don’t want to be forgotten”. And then I blacked out.

I woke up the next day, my head on my desk, my laptop was switched on, just a regular screen, a news item on some site. Forcing myself to believe it was all just a weird dream, even feeling hallucination would be better than reality I regained my consciousness completely and went to check my email. At the moment I pressed the x on the internet window, I saw the news article that was on the screen… “Photographer rapes and kills at least seven women” with a picture of the graveyard lady underneath it… and then it was gone, I had closed the window. I never found the article again, I never even found the news site again. Though all data was completely erased from both my laptop and camera they have functioned normally ever since. But I will never forget that encounter, like she asked, I had never forgotten… and now I share it with you, release it to the web, to keep that last wish alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment